Applying for New Dawn Charter School is easy, but please read the instructions carefully. As per the approved charter application, New Dawn Charter High School is a transfer school and thus does not accept students coming out of 8th grade. Students must have attended at least one other high school and be between the ages of 15 and 21.
New Dawn has a rolling application period and we accept applications 12 months out of the year for admission in September and February. However, those students who apply by April 1st will be included in a lottery and if picked, will be guaranteed enrollment in the following September. To ensure access to transfer students, students may complete the lottery application for enrollment in February. These students will be added to the wait list and will be enrolled if there is available space. Finally, New Dawn has two lotteries as approved in the charter application. One lottery is for those students with 0 to 10 credits and the other lottery is for students with 11 or more credits.
You can apply in three ways:
- You can apply below on the website
- You can print out the application, complete it and then fax to 347-505-2516. Student Application.pdf
- You can call us at 347-505-9101 and we will mail you a lottery application. You can print out the lottery application, complete it and mail to: New Dawn Charter High School - 242 Hoyt Street, Brooklyn, New York 11217.
Please call us at 347-505-9101 if you have any questions.
Enrolling September 8-September 10 in person for Fall 2021!!
Admitted students are also required to complete and submit the following as part of the enrollment process:
• Birth Certificate
• Proof of residence: This can be a utility bill (but not a cable bill), lease, HRA application, or any government issued ID.
• Enrollment Form: This form is used to record all basic information about the student and the family, including home, work, and emergency telephone numbers.
• Parent/Guardian Consent to Attend: It is extremely important that a parent or guardian sign this form.
• Free and Reduced Price Meals Application: This form must be completed for all students and will be held in strict confidence.
• Immunization Records
• Medical Forms: This set of forms must be submitted for all students within the first 30 days of attendance. It is the responsibility of each parent to keep their child’s medical information, including food allergies, up to date.
• Record Release: This form gives the school permission to obtain all records pertaining to a given student from his or her previous school. It must be completed and should include the telephone number and address of the previous school, as well as the signature of a parent or legal guardian.
• Transcripts from All Schools Attended Prior to New Dawn
• IEP or 504 Modifications
It is critical that the school be notified immediately of any changes in a student’s name, address, phone number, responsible parent, or any other information provided at the time of registration. Such changes should be communicated in writing and sent to the Principal.
Placement of Incoming Students
Once admitted to New Dawn Charter High School, students must provide transcripts from their previous academic institutions. New Dawn then reviews these transcripts and determines placement in classes based on the number of accumulated credits and classes needed for graduation. At New Dawn students are “ungraded” in the sense that they are able to take the classes necessary for them to graduate and this is not based on what “grade” the student is in. The chart on the next page is simply for placement into the special programs (intensive 9th grade, Internship, and College Now). New Dawn officials often contact students’ transferring schools with questions regarding their transcripts.
Students also take a series of assessments during orientation that help New Dawn staff determine grade and classroom placement.
Whenever possible, incoming students’ report cards and/or progress reports are reviewed for course placement and credit. If a student has made satisfactory progress at his/her transferring school in a course, then he/she may be able to get full credit for the equivalent course at New Dawn, given that he/she completes all stated requirements by the end of the term. The degree of partial credit granted hinges on consultations between the Principal and respective instructors.
New Dawn complies with all confidentiality laws protecting the privacy of its students and their families. Information regarding a student’s progress will be shared only with parents or guardians, appropriate members of the school’s faculty and staff, and any professional consultants retained for the purpose of measuring and/or improving instructional quality. When information regarding student performance is made public, it will be presented in such a way as to avoid the identification of specific, individual students.
For more information, please contact:
Parent Coordinator, Ms. Kim Fields: email@example.com
242 Hoyt St. Brooklyn, NY 11217
Phone: 347-505-9101 x9209
Non Discrimination Statement
A charter school shall not discriminate against or limit the admission of any student on any unlawful basis, including on the basis of ethnicity, national origin, disability, intellectual ability, measures of achievement or aptitude, athletic ability, race, creed, gender, religion or ancestry. A school may not require any action by a student or family (such as an admissions test, interview, essay, attendance at an information session, etc.) in order for an applicant to either receive or submit an application for admission to that school.